In our "old" Jenkins set-up things were simple: The Jenkins master and Satis were running on the same host thus Jenkins could easily invoke Satis via a command-line call. Unfortunately GitLab does not allow that. The only option which is currently available in GitLab is to trigger Satis via a webhook. Neither Satis itself or Satisfy which we actually use provide support for webhooks. Thus we extended Satisfy with a simple controller which invokes the Satis cli command. Definitely not the best solution but it works for us.
A few months back I was looking for a HTTP reverse proxy and load balancer to put in front of our Docker setup. By accident I came across traefik. I deployed it on one of our internal servers and it worked out-of-the box. Recently we configured a Docker setup for one of our clients and I picked traefik again. Since this setup will host some public instances the customer demanded SSL encryption. Luckily traefik comes with support for Let's Encrypt built in. I added the needed configuration to the traefik configuration file:
Finally PSR-11 - the Container standard - got approved by the PHP FIG. To celebrate this fact I just merged a PR to make Disco PSR-11 compatible. The latest 0.8.0 release is compatible with the 0.7.0 relase. The only difference being that 0.7.0 relies on the container-interop standard and the 0.8.0 release relies on the PSR-11 standard.
Recently I was in the need to create multiple directories at once in my Dockerfile. Using bash as a shell the shell expansion feature comes in handy:
In my recent attempt to migrate away from our Jenkins infrastructure to the new GitLab CI Runner infrastructure I ran into a problem: Since we want to use Docker images for the GitLab CI builds I struggled a bit on how pass the authentication information for Satis and GitLab into the docker images. Since the base images - basic PHP setup - should be used for our projects I did not want to share the access credentials in the different base images. Gitlab's secret variables sounded like a good idea but unfortunately they need to be defined for each and every project. Currently we have more than 250 projects in our GitLab instance, configuring secret variables for all the projects would have been a big pain.
One of our internally used application uses HTTP Basic auth to authenticate a user against our LDAP instance. In a recent attempt I had the need to expose one endpoint publicly without the need of an authentication. I tried several solutions but each of them did not work for my specific use case. At first I tried several Location directives but that did not work as expected. I also tried the LocationMatch directive which also did not work. By accident I came across a blog post stating that Apache 2.4 supports if/else style syntax and that seemed to work fine for me.
As it turns out method_exists and is_callable work slightly different and you might not be aware of it. I figured this out last year when I introduced protected methods in the config classes of bitexpert/disco. Recently I saw a similar issue in another open-source project and thought it might be a good idea to share my findings with the world.mehr lesen...
Since version 9.5 PostgreSQL provides support for upsert. Upsert allows you to "atomically either insert a row, or on the basis of the row already existing, UPDATE that existing row instead, while safely giving little to no further thought to concurrency". While experimenting with the Prooph Event Store library I came across a good use-case for upsert, so I gave it a try. The goal was to build a projection based on the event stream to count the number certain events based for a specific day - think of registrations per day.
We are currently experimenting with Bookdown to generate the documentation for our open-source components in one central location. Obviously the generated site should have a similar look`n`feel as this blog or our website. Since both instances are powered by Silverstripe and share a theme I was curious if it is possible to use this theme within Bookdown. As it turns out, it is not that difficult ;)
Beginning of this week I was finally able to release a new version of Disco which comes with one major change besides from the fact that I rewrote the generator logic for the bean methods and fix a few edge-case issues in the bean creation process.