Since migrating to my Windows 10 & WSL2 setup a few years ago, I regularly try to reclaim disk space from my WSL2 setup by following the steps outlined in Scott Hanselman's blog post. However, this time it did not work as expected.
A few tools, e.g. PHPStan Pro make use of the phpstorm:// protocol to be able to open files directly from your console with a click of a button.
Windows Terminal is still one of my favorite and most used tools after migrating to Windows and WSL2. Besides using it to access all my WSL2 instances, I also use it to "bookmark" the most needed SSH connections.
Whilst configuring our Office 365 tenant via Powershell, one command failed with a server error. It did not spit out an error code or message, just a generic error message. After trying a few workarounds, I thought, I'd better check if my user has all the permissions needed.
According to Microsoft Windows Hello is a "more personal, more secure way to get instant access to your Windows 10 devices using a PIN, facial recognition, or fingerprint". Wouldn't it be cool to use it to authenticate sudo via face recognition, fingerprint authentication, or a machine-local PIN? Luckily there's a PAM module that does exactly that and it is working perfectly for me so far.
There is an issue with WSL 2 where the clock in a WSL 2 instance isn't updated when the host resumes from sleep/hibernate. This can lead to problems when you want to install Linux packages or when creating or modifying files in general.
Windows Terminal is one of my favorite and most used tools after migrating to Windows and WSL2 last year. I use if to access all my WSL2 instances, Powershell and I keep track of my SSH connections.
Since quite a while Vagrant has support for syncing folders via rsync. While it is quite easy to set things up on a linux box, I was struggling a bit to get things going on a windows host. As the vagrant docs recommended I installed rsync and ssh client via the Cygwin package. After running "vagrant up" I got an error from the Vagrant rsync plugin stating "No such file or directory". Via Google search I came across a bug report on Github. As it turns out the problem seems to occur because Vagrant "tries to be smart and detect the environment but it obviously doesn't work reliably". The proposed solution is to patch the Vagrant ruby sources. You have to edit the file C:\HashiCorp\Vagrant\embedded\gems\gems\vagrant-1.6.3\plugins\synced_folders\rsync\helper.rb and change line 43 to: