The growing complexity of IDEs has led me to make a shift in a different direction.
Internally we develop our own tools, that we use as CLI. To make it easier to distribute and use them, we create standalone binaries. But often the files are huge.
So let's see how we can make them smaller without losing any functionality.
In a few projects, we sometimes had the problem, that invalid JSON files were provided by the customer and not checked for errors. To prevent this, we searched for the smallest possible solution.
Recently, we've been running into a weird problem. After restarting 2 nodes in our Nomad cluster, we could not properly access GitLab via SSH anymore. Web access was working fine, also cloning via https:// worked, but not via SSH which is what most of our developers use by default.
From time to time we are in need to access resources on a different server, and if it's only for a short time. The key is here to rely on simple and readily available tools.
About one year ago, I migrated from Linux to Windows and WSL 2. During this migration, I took the opportunity to rework my Linux setup in general. I was never a fan of fancy Bash prompts and “just” had Git in Bash prompt installed. During my migration, I had a look at what other options are around and came across a Powerline-like prompt for Bash written in Go. It looked easy to customize and extend, I gave it a try and liked it.
I had a hard time getting the Axon.ivy Designer to run on my KDE Neon desktop. The designer application - basically a custom Eclipse build - starts fine but when I try to launch the browser view, the Eclipse instance crashes. Browsing the Eclipse bugtracker showed that this is a common problem or in other words "practically speaking the embedded browser widget is unusable" on a recent Linux version. It was proposed that installing libwebkitgtk-1.0 would fix the problem, but that did not work for me. Instead installing libwebkitgtk-3.0 and a minor tweak finally fixed the problem for me.
A couple of days ago my little Linux router died after serving me fine for more than 13 years. Unfortunately, I had not a recent backup at hand so I was in need to get access to the disk. Since I had no "old enough" hardware available, I was looking for a way to convert the physical disk into a Virtualbox image which in the end turned out to be quite easy. All you need to do is to create an image of the physical disk using dd and convert that to a .vdi image file via the VBoxManage tool that is shipped with Virtualbox: